Warmer weather means picnics, barbeques, beach days, and get-togethers. The one thing in common with all of these gatherings is a lot of food. Often times, it includes store-bought chips, packaged potato salad, and coleslaw. But what I really appreciate are those homemade dishes that people take time to prepare themselves. These items are not only fresher but often add a healthy and delicious alternative to traditional picnic food.
Consider making one of these refreshing side dishes for your next gathering. Using fresh vegetables and Olive Your Heart® omega-3 olive oil will bring delicious, healthy flavors to any gathering.
5 medium beets, pre-cooked
¼ cup of Olive Your Heart®, natural
½ tsp. of Dijon mustard
2 tbsp. of white wine vinegar
½ tsp. of honey
½ tsp. of salt
1 large shallot, finely chopped
½ cup of jicama, chopped
Ground pepper, to taste
- Whisk oil, vinegar, honey, mustard, salt, and pepper in a small bowl.
- Cut the prepared beets into ½-inch cubes.
- In a large bowl combine the beets, jicama, and shallots.
- Pour dressing and toss well.
- Serve chilled or at room temperature.
CHERRY TOMATO MOZZARELLA BALL SALAD
¼ cup of Olive Your Heart®, basil
¼ cup of fresh basil, chopped
1 lb. of cherry size mozzarella balls
1 pint of cherry tomatoes
3 tbsp. of balsamic vinegar
Salt and fresh cracked pepper, to taste
- Combine olive oil and fresh basil in a bowl.
- Add mozzarella balls.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Marinate in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Remove and add cherry tomatoes and balsamic vinegar, and mix well.
- Use more salt and pepper as desired.
TOMATO AVOCADO SALAD
3 cups of Persian cucumbers, sliced
2 medium heirloom tomatoes, sliced into wedges
¾ pint of heirloom cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
2 avocados, sliced in thin wedges
½ cup of Olive Your Heart®, natural
¼ cup of Tamari sauce
¼ cup of rice vinegar
¼ cup of fresh cilantro, finely chopped
2 tsp. of sesame seeds
Salt, to taste
- Whisk together olive oil, tamari sauce, rice vinegar, and salt to taste.
- Layer the vegetables, starting with the cucumbers and heirloom tomato wedges on a serving platter.
- Sprinkle the cherry tomatoes on top.
- Top the salad with avocado slices.
- Drizzle the dressing over the salad.
- Sprinkle the sesame seeds and cilantro on top.