We can support healthy vision by eating a balanced diet high in fruits and vegetables. Here are some of the best foods we can eat for eye health:
- Spinach, kale, broccoli, and Brussels sprouts are high in lutein and zeaxanthin, powerful carotenoids found in our lens and macula that promote vision and retinal health.
- Eggs contain lutein and vitamin A, plus antioxidants to promote eye health and function. Egg yolks contain zeaxanthin, which can help protect our eyes from harmful ultraviolet (UV) radiation.
- Carrots, tomatoes, bell peppers, strawberries, pumpkin, corn, and cantaloupe are excellent sources of vitamins A and C, which promote healthy eye function.
- Oranges, grapefruit, lemons, and berries are also high in vitamin C, which promotes vision health.
- Nuts and seeds such as almonds, sunflower seeds, and pecans are all great sources of vitamin E, which serves as a powerful antioxidant that supports vision and macular health. Having a handful a day provides half of our daily dose of vitamin E.
- Sunflower seeds, salmon, and eggs are all rich in selenium, which promotes healthy visual acuity.
- Legumes, nuts, and seeds are good sources of zinc, needed for proper visual function. Our retinas contain a higher concentration of zinc than any other organ in the body.
Try this recipe packed full of eye supporting nutrients:
Salmon Dinner Salad
- 1 ½ cups of spinach
- 1 ½ cups of kale, ribs removed, and leaves cut into bit-size pieces
- ½ of a red bell pepper, sliced in thin strips
- 1 hard-boiled egg, sliced in half
- ¼ cup of garbanzo beans
- 1 mandarin orange, peeled and sliced (may use canned)
- ¼ cup of shredded carrots
- 1 Tbsp. of sunflower seeds
- 4 oz. of cooked salmon
Oil and Vinegar Dressing
- 2 Tbsp. of Olive Your Heart®, lemon
- 2 Tbsp. of extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup of apple cider vinegar
- ¼ cup of balsamic vinegar
Add all ingredients into a container with a lid, and shake to mix.
Pour out salad. Refrigerate unused dressing for up to two weeks.
For more salad dressing recipes, visit www.oliveyourheart.com/salad-dressings.