Making healthy food and lifestyle choices on a daily basis can help boost our immune system and keep it functioning optimally. Here are some quick tips to enhance immunity:
- Maintain a healthy diet. Eat more fruits and vegetables, and make sure they are organic (when necessary) to avoid unwanted exposure to pesticides.
- Stay hydrated. Drinking water helps ensure that our blood carries plenty of oxygen to all of the cells in our body. Our immune system works best when our muscles and organs are functioning well. Drinking purified water will help flush our body of toxins.
- Suck on a zinc lozenge. Zinc plays an important role in the production of immune cells. It’s important we get enough zinc daily to replenish what our body has used.
- Avoid sugary foods and beverages. This is especially important if you are battling a cold.
- Get enough sleep. Proper rest is important for restoring our body’s ability to resist sickness and alleviate stress.
- Reduce stress. Utilize yoga, meditation, biofeedback or any form of relaxation that soothes the mind and alleviates adrenal fatigue.
- Surround yourself with safe substances. Stay away from cigarette or cigar smoke, which can impact our body’s immune response.
- Avoid environmental irritants. Limit exposure to household cleaners, lawn and garden supplies, air fresheners, fragrances, and artificial dyes – which can all impact our immune system.
- Dirty Dozen lists the top 12 most heavily sprayed produce, which we should buy organic whenever possible.
- Clean 15 shows the cleanest produce that doesn’t necessarily need to be bought organic.
- Healthy Living allows us to scan the bar code of a food or body care product and receive a one to 10 ranking on how clean the product is. The lower the score, the better the product.
With these tips and tools, you’ll be on your way to taking control of your environment and your health. Enjoy the journey.