The word “healthy” is generally not uttered in the same sentence as “pizza.” However, there are ways to make a “healthier” version of one of America’s favorite foods without sacrificing flavor or taking a lot of time in the kitchen. So here we go… your healthier pizza recipe!
- 4 oz. of spicy ground turkey sausage
- ½ can of crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup of shredded mozzarella cheese
- ½ cup of shredded Parmesan cheese, divided
- 2 tbsp. of Olive Your Heart®, natural flavor
- 1 tbsp. of lemon juice
- 1 tsp. of honey
- 3 cups of dandelion greens, torn into bite size pieces
- 3 cups of chopped red or green endive
- 1 Against the Grain plain, gluten-free pizza crust
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Cook sausage in skillet until cooked through, about 6 minutes.
- Top pizza crust with canned tomatoes, sausage, mozzarella cheese, and ¼ cup of Parmesan cheese. Bake for 15-18 minutes if crust is frozen, if thawed only 8-10.
- While pizza is baking, prepare the topping.
- Mix together lemon juice, honey, remaining Parmesan cheese, and Olive Your Heart®, natural flavor.
- Remove pizza from oven when done, and mix the endive and dandelion greens in the dressing.
- Top the pizza with the salad.
- Sprinkle with crushed red pepper flakes for added heat.
Dandelion greens are often overlooked as a pizza topping, but they are full of nutrients. Dandelion greens are also an excellent source of vitamins, A, C, and K. They also provide a generous amount of the minerals, magnesium, potassium, and calcium.
The dressing made with Olive Your Heart® omega-3 olive oil adds 2,960 mg of omega-3s. Three cups of endive used on this pizza provides 24 g of fiber and 27 mg of both iron and potassium.
To avoid added sugar, use canned tomatoes instead of prepared pizza sauces found in the grocery store. It’s also good to use ground turkey instead ground pork or pepperoni for reduced fat.